Recently we posted an article in the El Paso Times about this very thing. Why? Because we get calls almost every day from solar customers that went solar with another company and regretted doing so. Complaints and concerns range from systems not properly installed to the company is no longer in business. This is why picking the right solar panel installers and solar companies in El Paso, TX and Las Cruces, NM and everything in between, is very important.
Read the Fine Print
Most recently someone forwarded us a copy of an agreement and proposal from another company. The potential solar customer was concerned about some of the info they read in their proposal. One thing that jumped out at us and caused us concern is in the above image. We blocked out the real name of Shady Solar but included the rest of the text in the excerpt from the proposal.
Many people do not read their contracts or proposals and, they should!!! In this example, the text is very specific. This company is not responsible for the equipment or performance of the system nor any warranty of it. Do you know why? They are just a broker, a middleman, only responsible for selling you the system and collecting a commission. They have no true responsibility past that point. Is that the kind of company you want to work with?
So do your research before you buy.
Here are a few things to look out for:
- How long have they been in business? If the company has only been in business for a few years or less, you need to look further. They make lack experience or not have the track-record to be around long enough for you to need them should you have any problems.
- Are they a solar broker (sales organization) or the actual installer that will put the system on your home? Many new solar or out-of-town companies don’t have the resources to do their own installations without adversely increasing the cost of your system so they may hire low-cost subcontractors to do the work. If they are a solar broker, they work for several installers are in business just to sell you solar.
- What kind of promises are they making? Can they back up what they are promising?
- What kind of reviews do they have in the industry? What are their customers saying about them? Not just the good things but the bad things too. How do they handle complaints an issues?
- What kinds of services do they provide long after your system has been installed?
- What kind of certifications do they carry? Would you hire a doctor or financial advisor that was not certified? The same should apply to solar electricians and engineers working on your house.
Solar Smart Living is a local solar installer that has served El Paso, TX, El Paso County, Dona Ana County and Las Cruces, NM for over 13 years. We are an A+ BBB listed company and also NACEP certified. We serve the borderland home and business owners produce their own solar energy, store it with battery storage, lower energy costs by using energy efficient and cost-saving technologies such at variable heat pumps for HVAC and pool heating. We also help with sustainable design and renovation projects as well helping you power your electric vehicle with high quality EV Chargers. There are many solar companies in El Paso and Southern New Mexico so make sure you pick the right one. We hope you pick us.