If you have solar panels you will likely be called by companies pitching their solar panel cleaning services. Before you sign up for one of these services, here are some things to consider.
When Cleaning DOES NOT Make Sense
- Most Cleaning Services are not Solar Installers and although they may be able to clean your system, they are not certified to inspect or work on your system.
- Damages caused by cleaning services are not warranted by Solar Smart Living nor most reputable solar providers and manufacturers and doing so could void your warranty.
- Recent and Past Energy studies actually confirm that cleaning your panels does not make that much of a difference. The savings in electricity does not justify the cost.
- You could unnecessarily spend anywhere from $260-450 to clean your panels (based on estimates we have seen).
When cleaning DOES make sense
Cleaning your panels make sense if there are significant BIRD droppings/activity on your roof. That’s probably the only time you should think about cleaning your panels.
If you need to clean your system
- Rinse them with plain water. The water hose is sufficient for cleaning them off. Using filtered water is overkill and unnecessary.
- Don’t use any surfactants that could damage the encapsulating layer (a transparent glue-like layer that prevents corrosion.)
- Don’t use Pressure Washing! This could force water into the panels causing corrosion.
If you believe your panels need cleaning, contact SSL to discuss your concerns. SSL is a full-service solar company and you should ALWAYS contact us FIRST for any questions or concerns you have about your solar system.